"If you're already skating on thin ice, you might as well dance." - Anonymous

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Seamless

When I ran cross country in high school, the league championship race was always at a place called Green Lane Park in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.  The course had this huge hill at the two-mile mark.  At least, it seemed huge at the time and everyone griped about it.  I think it even had a nickname, but I'd be hard-pressed to remember it.  Given what I know now about training and hills, I'm curious how big it actually was - or how difficult.  But, in any case, it was a hill, and it was two-thirds of the way into the race.

On that hill was where my first-ever sports injury was confirmed, at least, confirmed for me mentally (the x-rays later gave definitive proof).  It was also the first time outside of ballet that I learned a little something about pushing myself - and about when to stop.

I didn't stop that day.  Nor had I stopped at the countless practices leading up to that point when I knew something was wrong.  When I reached the middle of that hill and I felt something give in my leg - the same thing that had been nagging me for weeks - when my body said, "Stop", I said, "Fuck you."  I went.  My coach was there telling me to keep going, and so was the competitor inside my head.

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened had I stopped that day.  Or, even more so, had I stopped weeks before.  If that bone hadn't broken.  If the injury and subsequent time off hadn't forced me to ask bigger questions and make choices - hard choices - about where my life would go.  Was I a runner or a dancer?  An artist or an athlete? Could I be both?

Had I not fallen through the finish line that day at Green Lane, would I still have chosen dance?  Would I have been able to choose both?  And where, precisely, would I be now?  Of course, these are questions I can't answer - I'll never know, really.  But they're questions I consider all the time.  On a daily basis lately.

Life really does have a way of coming full circle.  Being injured now, 15 years later (wow...time sneaks up on you...), I'm in much the same place.  Asking, again, "Am I an artist or an athlete?  Can I be both?"  Sitting here sidelined, these questions have been rolling around in my head the past few weeks.  Wanting desperately to make the right decision this time - the decision I won't question for years to come.  Wondering which one that is.  Hoping to discover that I can have both.  Somehow, anyway. Sadly, the answers aren't any more obvious now that I'm older.

I didn't win the race that day in Green Lane Park.  I don't think I've won anything since, either.  But I've also never tried.  What I took home that day, in the bag with our league plaque, was a whole lot of what if's and should-have-could have-would-haves.  And a bunch of tangled questions on top.  I took away the ego boost or "street cred" of having run a race on a broken leg - and the looks on the faces of the boys I still managed to beat.

At the end of the day, though, I've come to learn that none of that really matters.  Not the medals or the plaques - not even the emotional boost - though I would be lying to say that part didn't feel kind of awesome.   I would also be lying if I said I didn't want to win.  I'll never not be a competitor.

What matters, though...what really, truly matters...is the part that can't be put into words.  It's the compulsion - the "have to".  There are days when I really just "have to" sit down and play my piano or my flute.  Or start a new painting.  Or take a dance class. Or, of course, perform.  In the same way, most days, I "have to" run.  It's not really even an option not to.

Right now, I don't have any more answers than I did 15 years ago.  At least, not exactly.  But I think the answer to the question "Can I do both?" Is, "Yes."  And it's because I have to.  Most of the great artists and athletes of our time have learned to juggle multiple passions (if I began a list here, this post would go on for days), so why can't I?  There seems to be a connection.  Something about the mind of an artist and the drive of a competitor.  I'm just missing the link.

So, I guess the real question is where do they intersect?  These things that I do...these things that I love?  Where is that great big seam that connects them all?  That's the win I'm looking for.  And when I find it, I'm installing a zipper.

No comments:

Post a Comment